First-time Direct Loan borrowers & Parent PLUS (below)
First-time Direct Loan borrowers need to complete entrance counseling and a master promissory note. You do this at a federal website: studentloans.gov.
Students interested in borrowing under the Federal Direct Loan program may complete the Entrance Counseling session online or Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS). The entire session will take about 20-30 minutes to complete. First time Direct Loan Borrowers are required to complete new Entrance Counseling to understand rights and responsibilities as student loan borrowers.
You must complete the quiz at the end of the session and submit it electronically. You will then be presented with a confirmation screen indicating that you have completed the Entrance Counseling requirement. Please print this page for your records. Electronic notification will be sent directly to the Financial Aid Office indicating that you have completed this requirement. Please allow 24-48 hours for us to process the confirmation.
Master Promissory Note
Along with completing the entrance counseling session, you must also complete a Master Promissory Note before loan funds may be released to Davenport University. If you haven't already completed your new Master Promissory Note, please follow the link to complete the Master Promissory Note online. Graduate students should maximize their use of Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans prior to considering Grad PLUS loans.
If you have questions regarding the completion of your Entrance Counseling or Master Promissory Note, please contact your Financial Aid Counselor.
Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) Checklist
You will need the following information on hand to complete a Direct Loan MPN and Direct Loan Entrance Counseling:
- Your Department of Education-issued PIN. This is the same 4-digit number you used to electronically sign the FAFSA.
- Your Social Security Number and Date of Birth.
- A valid email address.
- Your contact information (phone number, permanent address)
- Your driver's license number and state (if applicable).
- Name, address, and phone number for two references who have known you for 3 or more years.
- Go to studentloans.gov to complete both the MPN (Master Promissory Note) and Entrance Counseling
Hints while completing the process on the Government web site
- Don’t forget you must complete both the Direct Loan MPN and Direct Loan Entrance Counseling before your loan(s) will pay to your student account.
- Choose the "Davenport University" that is listed without any campuses. If you choose Caro, Midland or Saginaw, we will NOT receive your Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling. Please choose the school code that is Davenport University, with the Kraft Avenue address: G002249. If you do choose a campus, you can start over and choose the Davenport University that does not have a campus connected with the name.
- Frustration with the StudentLoans.gov website: The U.S. Department of Education released this new website in March 2010 that included enhancements for the Direct Lending Process. In order to view the website, you will need Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 6 and higher), Mozilla Firefox (version 2 or 3.6.3), Apple Safari (version 4).
- You must complete the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling in 30 minutes or less.
- You cannot hit the back button.
- We cannot view an incomplete application.
You must accept your loans through Davenportal in order for the Financial Aid Office to get confirmation that you completed the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling.
Parent PLUS Loans (Federal aid for parents of dependent students only)
- Increase the loan amount
- Decrease the loan amount
- Decline the loan