Leadership Opportunity in Physical Therapy
With multiple campuses throughout Michigan, Davenport University aspires to be renowned as a quality institution of higher education that understands the market better than any other, applying this knowledge to its programs and teaching and preparing Davenport graduates to exceed employer expectations, transform communities and change lives.
The College of Health Professions at Davenport University is seeking a proven leader with demonstrated abilities to serve as Department Chair/Program Director for its Doctorate in Physical Therapy (DPT) program. The successful candidate must possess an earned doctorate -- Ph.D., Ed.D. or DPT -- and have a record of scholarship, service and professional excellence. Candidates are eligible for senior faculty status commensurate with their current rank and experience.
The Department Chair/Program Director will report to the Dean of the College of Health Professions and, in collaboration with the Associate Dean of Allied Health and other University personnel, will develop a curriculum, allocate space, hire faculty and develop clinical education sites consistent with CAPTE Standards. Opportunities exist to collaborate with other existing and developing programs within the College.
These responsibilities will be performed in an ethical manner consistent with the University's mission, vision and cultural values.
- Hires, supervises, mentors, evaluates, and trains full-time and adjunct faculty within the department.
- In collaboration with the Associate Dean for the College of Health Professions obtain initial accreditation and maintenance of accreditation for the Physical Therapy Program
- Develops, implements, and assesses programs, curriculum and courses approved by the College Dean or applicable academic leader.
- Assesses academic programs annually and leads the Program Review Process, adhering to university policies and procedures.
- In collaboration with the scheduling committee, develop year long course schedules and assignment of faculty to courses.
- Review of course syllabi to ensure compliance with University requirements and guidelines.
- Aware of and abide by the current code of ethics of the profession of Physical Therapy.
- Develop internship/fieldwork opportunities and other experiential learning options with employers.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for career services initiatives and programs
- Ensure student and consumer safety.
- Teaches between 6-18 credit hours annually, including 3 credit hours of graduate research/project oversight.
- Ensures that courses within the department are delivered consistently and with quality, including internships and externships.
- Facilitates the ordering of textbooks and software for all departmental courses.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships and productive partnerships with community college counterpart and work collaboratively with faculty/staff in all areas to increase enrollment, diversify revenues and enhance opportunities for students and the University.
- Develops appropriate measures of program effectiveness and performs periodic assessments as appropriate.
- Facilitates training, in conjunction with the Office for Professional Excellence, for faculty on curriculum and related technology changes within the program.
- Secures appropriate resources and technology to deliver quality programs.
- Assists marketing and admissions departments in the promotion of department programs.
- Participates in internal and external events to promote the University and its programs.
- Provides resolution to student issues and concerns according to University policy and procedure.
- Participates in appropriate professional organizations and continues professional development to maintain and to develop subject matter expertise and pedagogy.
- Reviews and approves curriculum substitutions according to department guidelines.
- Submits faculty credential report to the Associate Dean each semester.
- Holds regular departmental meetings.
- Participate in appropriate committees.
- Provides GREAT customer service, anticipating and exceeding the needs of our customers.
- Demonstrate and promote the University Cultural Values.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Currently licensed in good standing or eligible for licensure by the State of Michigan as a Physical Therapist.
- Earned an academic doctoral degree (PhD, EdD, or similar) or Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) with extensive experience in academics, and an understanding of higher education and contemporary clinical practice appropriate for leadership in physical therapy education.
- Must have a minimum of 6 years of experience in the field of physical therapy, including practice as a physical therapist and supervisory or administrative experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in a full-time academic appointment with teaching responsibilities in a physical therapist position.
- Minimum of five years’ experience teaching in higher education.
- Minimum of five years professional experience in a related field.
- Outstanding leadership and management skills.
- Teaching experience (preferably in higher education) along with work experience in area of specialization.
- Experience in planning and developing courses.
- Professional manner and attire.
- Must be able to critically think, analyze data, read and process detail information in written form.
- Commitment to life-long learning and professional development.
- Knowledge and experience with AQIP accreditation preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to teach classes in multiple formats including in-seat and online.
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately and effectively with computerized data systems (PC and mainframe).
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation and positive reactions to change and conflict resolution.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, both written and oral which transcend diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and relate well to students, parents, faculty, staff, and others while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
- Demonstrated motivational and problem solving capabilities with a high degree of integrity, ethics, and dedication to the mission of the University.
- Must be able to work an irregular schedule, evenings or Saturday as needed, additional hours during peak times or as required.
Business office environment. Prolonged sitting and standing. Use of personal computer and telephone (eye and hand strain). Some travel between locations required (own transportation). No regular lifting requirements, occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
To apply for the job, please contact:
Executive Vice President, Managing Principal
Cejka Executive Search