Back to Home
Work Authorization

Jobs for International Students

As an international student with F-1 status, you may be eligible to get a job while you are here, such as:

On-Campus Work

  • You can work on the campus that issued your Form I-20.
  • You are eligible as soon as you begin full-time classes. 
  • You remain eligible as long as you maintain F-1 status. 
  • You can work up to 20 hours a week while school is in session. 
  • During official school breaks, up to 40 hours per week are permitted.  

Note: There are legal restrictions to on-campus positions. F-1 students may be employed in any on-campus position that does not displace a U.S. worker. Jobs in this category do not have to be related to your course of study.

Off-Campus Work

You may want to seek a temporary job experience in your field.  To be eligible you must:

  • Have F-1 status 
  • Completed at least one academic year (nine consecutive months) in F1 status
  • Receive authorization for employment from a DSO/ International Programs Office
  • Not be enrolled in the ESL program
  • Finish your term of employment before completion of your academic program

Please utilize our DUCareerNet to look for job opportunities and work with our Career Services Team.

Off campus job options may be available for a maximum of 12 months during or after you complete your DU program. These include:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Off campus work authorization during their course of study.  Please complete the CPT request form and submit to your Academic advisor/DSO for approval.  This type of work must be related to your field of study. 

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Requires USCIS approval.  Please download our OPT request form and OPT Frequently Asked Questions which also includes a template letter for student use during for their application to USCIS.  Please schedule a meeting with your Academic Advisor/DSO for further information.

Please review our power point presentation: Employment and immigration Options, created by our immigration attorney from Varnum Law.  Click the link to review other immigration clinics and services available in Michigan.

Contact the International Office for more information on job opportunities for international students or to set up an appointment to discuss your current work options.