Here are frequently asked questions and answers. If your question isn't answered below, please feel free to contact us at any time.
- What are some advantages to living on campus?
- If I cancel my housing contract, will I get a refund?
- Can I sign a one semester housing contract?
- What are the dimensions of my room?
- How will I find out my room assignment?
- Can I have a loft in my room?
- Can I have a private room?
- What furniture and appliances are available?
- How will you match me with a roommate?
- How will I find out who my roommate is?
- What happens if I do not get along with my roommate
- Is cable television available?
- What type of laundry services are available?
- How will I receive packages on campus?"
Parking and Transportation
What are some advantages to living on campus?
There are an array of advantages to living on campus:
- Convenience - Students who live on campus enjoy being close to classes, programs, and events sponsored by the University, without the hassle of long commutes
- One Payment - Instead of paying multiple bills for living off-campus, Davenport Housing and all the associated amenities are enveloped in one payment.
- Support - Every residential community has student staff members and professional live in staff who are available to assist you if you have questions or concerns!
- Social - Living on campus is a great way to make new friends and get help in school from students in your classes.
- Success - Research shows that students who live on campus get higher grades and are more likely to continue through graduation.
If I cancel my housing contract, will I get a refund?
If you are approved to get out of your housing contract, you will be charged on a pro-rated basis. You are not considered to be completely checked out of your room until all of the proper paperwork has been completed and all of your belongings are removed from your room.
Can I sign a one semester housing contract?
The residence community housing contracts are for the full academic year.
What are the dimensions of my room?
South Hall bedrooms are 10' x 8'. Within this space there is a 2.5' x 4' closet area. Windows are 3' x 5.5'. Cook & Meijer bedrooms are 10' x 12'. Panther Woods rooms vary per bedroom. Most 300 and 400 building bedrooms are about 10' x 18'.
How will I find out my room assignment and roommate?
Room assignments and roommate contact information will be sent through the Davenport e-mail throughout the summer. It is important to check your Davenport e-mail regularly since room placements and roommates are subject to change.
Can I have a loft in my room?
You may have a university-provided loft in your bedroom for a rental fee. These are available on a first come, first serve basis on your move-in day. The loft kit will allow you to raise your bed about 5 feet and create space underneath your bed for work or storage.
Can I have a private room?
Privates rooms are available at a first come, first serve basis for upperclassmen in Cook Hall
What furniture and appliances are available?
Please review the Housing Options for a list of hall specific furniture and amenities!
How will you match me with a roommate?
A questionnaire is part of the application. Roommates are matched according to your responses. Students are allowed to request their roommates, but both students must put each other's student ID on their own application. You will have the ability to log back into the housing application and change or update your requested roommates prior to June 1st.
What happens if I do not get along with my roommate?
First, talk with your roommate about whatever it is that is bother you. Much of the time, problems can be worked out simply by communicating directly with them. If that doesn't work, speak with your RA or RLC and they can help you resolve the issue. At the beginning of the semester, it is important be genuine and honest with your roommates when you fill out the roommate agreement with each other.
Is cable television available?
A satellite TV connection is provided in each bedroom and each living room. We offer over 80 different channels. If you need help with your cable, please contact email@example.com.
What type of laundry services are available?
Laundry rooms are located on various floors in the residence communities. All washers and dryers require $1 per load of laundry payable with Panther Dollars. Panther Dollars can be added to your housing card via DU-posit. Some machines do allow quarters. Panther Woods residents have washers and dryers in their apartments.
How will I receive packages on campus?
All mail and packages are routed through the Mail Center located on the lower level of the Academic Building. Mail is sorted daily. Students will receive an e-mail letting them know that they have mail. Students in Panther Woods have mail boxes which USPS brings mail to directly.
The on-campus address for South Hall, Cook Hall, Meijer Hall, and Panther Woods residents is as follows:
6191 Kraft Ave SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49512
Parking and Transportation
Is transportation available?
The University provides a free shuttle for students which stops at the main campus, Panther Woods, and area stores.
Can I have a car on campus?
Students are allowed to have a vehicle on campus. A no-cost registration is required. Parking is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Click here to register for parking.
Can I have a bicycle on campus?
Bicycles are allowed on campus, but are required to stay outside in the provided bike racks.
What are the quiet hour policies?
We have 24 hour courtesy hours. This means residents may ask members in the community to keep the noise level down at any time of the day. During the last week of classes, the University follows a 24 hour quiet policy.
Is there a curfew?
Davenport Housing does not have a curfew, but encourages residents to make responsible choices to remain healthy and prepared for class
Am I allowed to have a pet?
The only pets allowed on campus are non-predatory fish that can be kept in a 10 gallon tank.