COMPASS (COMputer-adaptive Placement Assessment and Support System) is an untimed, computerized test that helps Davenport evaluate skills and place students into appropriate courses. The test has three (3) sections:
- COMPASS Writing - requires students to edit text that has errors in grammar, punctuation, usage, and style
- COMPASS Reading - asks the students to find main ideas, locate explicit information, and draw conclusions from information in the passage
- COMPASS Math - covers a variety of items from pre-algebra to college algebra
COMPASS ESL (English as a Second Language) is also available.
The COMPASS placement test is computer based, multiple-choice and untimed. For more information visit the ACT/COMPASS web site.
DU Course Credit awarded for COMPASS Tests.
All Davenport campuses.
Your admission representative will register you for the COMPASS exam. It is highly recommended that you take a couple of weeks to brush up on your math for this test through Open Class Academy.
- DU students (or applying to DU) - no cost
The test is untimed. Campuses require testing appointments. Click here for testing hours and e-mail/phone contacts for making an appointment.
Recommended Appointment time:
- 2 hours appointment recommended for complete COMPASS test.
- 1 1/2 hour appointment for a sub-test (such as writing only, reading only, or math only)
DU students make take any sub-test or the complete test 2 times.
ID on the Day of Testing:
Candidate must bring one form of picture identification such as a passport, a state issued driver's license, a state issued ID card, a student ID or an employee ID. Candidates will not be tested if they fail to present appropriate ID.
Testing Center Rules:
Prohibited Items – Personal items (cell phones, backpacks, purses, MP3 players, etc.) are not allowed during testing. They may be left in a car or placed in an area designated by DU staff.
Provided Items –
- Scratch paper (will be collected after test) & pencils
- Erasable Board & Marker
- Calculator will be provided on computer screen for the math portion; students may bring a calculator if it meets the ACT/COMPASS guidelines
Students must see their admission representative for their test results.
For more information, please go to the DU Student Access Web site.
For non-DU students taking COMPASS for placement at a college other than Davenport University, you must:
- Register for COMPASS Remote Test with the college you plan to attend
- Receive an e-mail with your COMPASS registration number
- Given only at the W.A. Lettinga campus in Grand Rapids and in Warren. Call 616-554-5614 (Grand Rapids) or 586-620-4049 (Warren) to schedule an appointment
- Pay $30 proctoring fee
- (No checks, payment must be made by Credit Card)